As I was piecing the Victor back together, I decided to make a quick video to show off the base mechanics since its not often anyone sees this sort of thing, and pictures don't necessarily do it justice.
A package is on its way. A special sort of package, one which requires the workbench to be cleaned and prepared.
Lo. The UPS was able to deliver the package safely, something they don't seem used to doing.
As you have already guessed, the contents have a particularly familiar form.
Beneath the cardboard and the bubblewrap, we have a case.
And Houston, we have a typewriter. A Victor portable typewriter, to be exact.
Yes, this is the machine which languished on Ebay for over a year. The price finally came down enough that I decided to throw a best offer out, and it was accepted. So now I am the owner of one of the failed typewriter designs of the '20s. And I'll be honest. This thing is in good shape all around, save for the one part that was made of potmetal (and which also happens to be rather important); the frame-segment. Everything else is high enough quality steel.
Well, you know me. And what I tend to do to typewriters. So lets pop the hood, get to work, and give the typosphere the best glimpse its ever had of the Victor Portable.
The carriage lock is a cool feature, that seems to work well.
The carriage knob is unique, in that the screw goes through the plastic part of the knob itself. It also turns out that the rod is spring loaded on the left side.
The carriage bearings are rather unique. They are like an Underwood 3-banks, save for extra star wheels.
The carriage rocks back for shifting.
The design is meant for the escapement to stay where it is, though, so the carriage escapement rail is designed to sway over the fatter gear.
A cool "feature" of this impressively designed machine is that the carriage is actually held in place by a swinging pivot. Unscrew the one on each side, and pop. comes right out (be careful around the ribbon vibrator).
Taking the keylevers out was a task which I was rather unorthodox in, to say the least. But theyre out.
The Victor portable (patents pending). It will clean up great, as there is no rust what-so-ever; just a very sludgy layer of grime all around. The real task at hand will be the repair of the broken up pot metal. That shall, indeed, prove a daunting task. But nothing that a blowtorch, some solder, and some grinding shouldnt be able to fix
If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 WPM, you're going to see some serious shit.
I fully expected it to take at least a solid week, based on my usual habits regarding time spent in the workshop. But for reasons not to be explained, I decided to see just how quickly I could get one of these turned around (especially due to them being my specialty).
The results were positive, though the expediency of the cleaning efforts was certainly helped by the fact that the machine actually worked with me, whereas most seem to actively resist my cleaning and restorative attempts. Save for the one thin rod not wanting to come out, all other screws and parts came apart properly, the rust was only a real problem on the topside of the carriage, and by golly even without oil the cleaned pieces worked right.
Behold, El Zorro Espanol!
Yes yes, I know I'm terrible at taking pictures. But it should be easy to tell how much cleaner this Fox is now. The paint is a bit iffy, and there is evidence that it was actually repainted previously, but I decided to just give it a layer of protective wax rather than really try to buff it up or anything. Apparently having sat in a Texas storefront for the better part of a few decades, I like to think it has a "Texas Sun-baked" sort of look.