Sunday, June 7, 2015

From the workbench: A 1936 Royal Junior appears

Currently, I am knee deep in rusted parts which once composed a certain Corona Special. Hours upon hours of standing there, scrubbing things with steel wool, and I still have miles to go. To keep my spirits up, I decided to just go ahead and clean this little gem which I acquired from the same store as the SM3 came from. Took only two hours clean and repair the drawcord (despite the horrid location of the springdrum). It is my personal opinion that I would have rather they taken out the entire shifting mechanism in the stead of the bell. It's somewhat sad not hearing that tiny little "Ding" at the end of a line. *sad violin plays in background*




6 comments:

  1. That is a cute Royal. Interesting shape of the body that cradles the typebars; reminiscent of the Signet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am curious as to if the Signets were another "cheap" model Royal offered at the same time as this one. From pictures, they look a bit smaller than the Juniors are as well

      Delete
  2. Very pretty little thing, I didn't know Royal had produced a stripped down depression era machine. Looks especially nice with the matching metal spools too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to wonder sometimes, however, just how much they truly saved by omitting the bells, right margin, etc. It seems to me like one or two pieces subtracted from a thousand part machine wont do you much good

      Delete
  3. What a neat machine! I love the slope of the body. It's missing many features (eg bell, back space), but does it type like a Depression-era stripped-down budget machine or is it still pretty solid?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It types (wait for it) Royally. Though I dearly miss the bell, it still has that solid and quick Royal action, and I can only assume it served its previous owners very well.

      Delete